Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Nobody Nose the Troubles She's Seen

Judging from the shnoz in the "before" picture in the linked piece, perhaps this was a blessing in disguise.

A hairdresser was horrified when her nose collapsed after decades of breathing in minute hair clippings.

Edwina Phillipson, 51, from Northumberland, says tiny fragments of hair lodged themselves in the skin inside her nose.

This caused an infection that eventually caused a hole to open through her septum.

After 35 years of being exposed to the professional hazard the mother-of-three had to undergo an operation to rebuild it using cartilage taken from her right ear.

[...]

Mrs Phillipson's problems began 12 years ago when her nose began to get irritated from hairs in the air at work.

Scratching the area made the problem worse, as it created an open wound which was ripe for infection and would then attract more hairs.

[...]

[Mrs Phillipson said,] 'It's incredibly painful. But I'm thrilled with what they have done for me.

'I had no choice because eventually the hole would increase in size and my septum would have fallen out.

'I wear the blue surgical masks at the moment, but even them, I have discovered, let the hairs through. I'm going to have a look at getting better fitting masks for fine particles.'

[Daily Mail] via [TheAwl]

No comments:

Post a Comment