Friday, October 1, 2010

Genocide, Native American Style

No, not that genocide. This one happened way before 1492.

Crushed leg bones, battered skulls and other mutilated human remains are likely all that's left of a Native American population destroyed by genocide that took place circa 800 A.D., suggests a new study...

The entire assemblage comprises 14,882 human skeletal fragments, as well as the mutilated remains of dogs and other animals killed at the massacre site -- Sacred Ridge, southwest of Durango, Colo...

The unearthed bones and artifacts indicate that when the violence took place, men, women and children were tortured, disemboweled, killed and often hacked to bits. In some cases, heads, hands and feet appear to have been removed as trophies for the killers. The attackers then removed belongings out of the structures and set the roofs on fire.

[Discovery Channel]

2 comments:

  1. The 'dog' thing haunts me. Hey - you're bringin'me down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bubbyshins,

    I made a rule for myself to pretty much exclude any animal related bringdowns from this site as I'm an animal lover too. I was conflicted about whether or not to post that part, but since the event was so long ago I figured that takes some of the sting out of that bringdown.

    Rest assured, 99.999% of the bad things that you'll read about here will happen to people.

    ReplyDelete