Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Governor Of Maine Kicks Mural's Ass

Again noting the journalistic instinct at the heart of Daily Downers, here's a follow up on the mural story where the Governor of Maine is fighting communism and brainwashing by moving a really nice mural. This was in the New York Times, and I wrote about it, and this is their way of bumping it back to me. It's going on all the time, and still I am not getting the respect I deserve. Damn.

A mural that favors labor interests at the expense of business interests? Hmmm, who was doing that a long time ago in a country far away?

But idiocy is its own reward, and my favorite part of this is the extension of the initial idiocy, where the Labor Department conference rooms have to be renamed. They were named for labor leaders. Now they should be neutral.

As a response to our problems, this is pretty cool. It's saying, "fuck substance, I'm about style. I've had it with this painting." Doesn't help the average Maine guy with anything, but the Gov is saying "hey, I'm here, I'm into the details, know what I mean?"

What's next? I'm glad you asked that. Lincoln is a pretty polarizing dude. I'm thinking we change Lincoln Memorial to the Kings County Memorial, give a shout out to Brooklyn yo. Peace ahhhhhhhhoooooooouuuuuut.
A mural depicting Maine’s labor history was removed from the lobby of the state’s Department of Labor and stored at an undisclosed location over the weekend by directive of Gov. Paul LePage. Mr. LePage, a Republican elected in 2010, says the mural favors labor interests at the expense of business interests. Last week, he ordered that the mural be taken down and that Labor Department conference rooms named for labor leaders be renamed for mountains, counties or something else perceived as neutral. Robert Shetterly, president of the Union of Maine Visual Artists, called it “an exceptionally cowardly act” to move it over the weekend when no one would notice.


[The New York Times]

No comments:

Post a Comment