Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gov't Death Panels Kill Paralyzed Women's Wedding Plans

Like Ensign Killjoy's recent post about old people getting sick and dying because of socialized medicine, this is the kind of thing you can expect to see more and more of as "Obamacare" continues to destroy your freedoms.

Rachelle Friedman says she remembers the very moment she went from bride-to-be -- just a month away from her dream wedding -- to wheelchair-bound, paralyzed from good-natured horseplay gone terribly wrong at her own bachelorette party.

[...]

"We got home, ran upstairs and changed into our bathing suits," said Friedman. "My best friend -- and she still is my best friend -- she playfully pushed me in like we've done a million times."

"It was playful, but it went wrong," she said. "It was a freak accident." She hit her head on the bottom of the pool.

"I instantly went stiff and couldn't move," said Friedman. "I weirdly did not panic, I kind of knew exactly what happened and I floated up to the surface and said, 'Help!' and then my friends called 9-1-1."

[...]

The first call Friedman made was to her fiance, Chris Chapman, who had been camping with his father the night of the accident.

Friedman and Chapman's wedding had been set for June 27 at the Lesner Inn in Virginia Beach. A wedding website created by Friedman shared notes of excitement that she was marrying her "very first boyfriend." The two had been engaged for nearly a year and together for five.

[...]

"I said, 'I broke my neck and I'm probably not going to walk,' I was very straightforward and very monotone with him," she said.

[...]

As Friedman continued outpatient rehab, she quickly learned how fast her medical bills were piling up. Now she says that even though she still dreams of her "perfect wedding," marrying Chapman would make her ineligible for Medicaid, health insurance she says will help her stay out of debt.

"I'm pretty much screwed," said Friedman. "My insurance through my non-profit where I worked allows me only 20 days of rehab, which isn't enough."

"And if I marry Chris, [our combined income] will be too much to qualify for Medicaid," she said.

[ABC News]

2 comments:

  1. Not really thinking this through. If she quit her job she'd be all set, right? What am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What job? The non-profit job she used to have is history, she can barely sit up in bed, much less work. She's all set with free Medicare now, but she'd lose that if she got married.

    ReplyDelete