Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Recycling Kills

Goddamn you, Al Gore!

An East Toledo woman died after she fell head-first into her city-issued recycling container outside of her home, likely after going to throw trash away.

According to a preliminary report, Sheila Decoster, 62, died of positional asphyxia, meaning that, because of Mrs. Decoster's position in the container, she was not able to breathe properly, said Lucas County Deputy Coroner Diane Barnett.

In her 29 years in the coroner's office, Dr. Barnett said she has never seen anything quite like it.

[...]

Mr. Decoster, who left for work about 3:30 a.m., returned home about 5 p.m. with a load of groceries. He didn't see his wife when he first walked in.

He assumed she might be next door visiting with a neighbor, and when he walked out the front door, he saw his wife's leg sticking out of the bin, which is next to the porch.

"I just happened to look to the left and, honestly, thought it was a dummy," Mr. Decoster said, pausing to breathe.

"I shook her leg and called her name, and I knew she was gone."

[...]

It appears that Mrs. Decoster tried to kick her way out of the 64-gallon receptacle, but was unsuccessful.

At the scene, once Mrs. Decoster's body was removed, Steve Kahle, a coroner's investigator, tried to tip the can but was unable to do so, Dr. Barnett said.

Mrs. Decoster's family said Monday that they were concerned because the can was difficult to tip over.

"Could I blame the city because the cans aren't tippable?" Mr. Decoster said. "I don't know. City liability hasn't crossed my mind."

[...]

"Even though I've seen a lot of death, I can't open that can," said Mr. Decoster, who served in the Army Airborne division for three years, spending 13 months in Vietnam. "I need to put some recyclables in the can and I just can't do it.

"That's not me. I'm a strong person, strong-willed, but this is hitting me pretty hard," Mr. Decoster said.

[Toledo Blade]

1 comment:

  1. Maybe she was going “all in” with recycling. Did they at least allow her to compost like she intended?

    ReplyDelete